Saturday, November 5, 2011

Makeup 365 Day 36 - NJR Shoot day 2: That's a Wrap!

I got the chance to go back and have another fun-filled day of shooting with most of the NJR crew from last Saturday. We only had two smallish scenes to shoot with our male lead (so I did a makeup today, hah!), so the day was pretty short. Between travel and actual shoot time it was a short 6 hour day. I so cannot wait to work on another film or another project. I am definitely hooked on the experience, the comradery and the pure thrill of being creative. If I could live in this creative cave for months at a time like so many people do shooting TV every week or films for months at a time, I would be so fulfilled. One day. One day. For now I'm on the hunt for the next project. I have found a few that I could apply for, but I think nothing will be like working with this crew/cast. I had the most fun with these people. Thank you, so so much, to our amazing director for choosing me and for letting me flex my makeup muscles. Thank you to the crew who opened their arms and welcomed me into the fold. Thank you to our amazing stars who made me feel like I was doing a good job every step of the way. I will never forget this project.

So, since I have now done this one there are a few things that I have learned.

1. Know what department you are talking about. A gaffer is not a grip and a grip is not a gaffer.
2. On these student films 'art department' means 'anyone near it, grab it and put it in said place'.
3. 'Lock it up' means shut up, they're about to roll camera
4. Get used to being called by your department name. I was called "makeup" most of shoot day one. Of course it was when I was needed, not when standing around on set between takes.
5. Foam core makes an amazing bounce for light.
6. Creating night for day is one of the most amazing things a lighting dept. can do
7. Smile and be pleasant even if you're not feeling pleasant. It goes a long way.
8. Don't try to do anyone's job but yours unless asked.
9. Smile for the on-set photog.
10. Always have scissors.


I'm sure there are more things that I learned, but these all stick out in my brain right now. Hopefully I can have many more future posts in the remaining 329 days that revolve around these types of projects! For now, here is a picture of our male lead! Cheers!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment